What is the Vittore Branca Center?
Inaugurated in June 2010 inVenice, the International Center for the Study of Italian Culture named after Vittore Branca – a world-renowned Italianist who was Secretary General of the Giorgio Cini Foundation – is a new international resource for humanities studies.
Thanks to the new Residence on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice, the Vittore Branca Center is a place of study and meeting for young researchers and expert scholars, writers and artists who wish to spend a research period in Venice, living on San Giorgio and working in the Foundation libraries.
Who can apply?
The Center is open to young researchers and expert scholars, writers and artists of all ages interested in furthering their knowledge in a field of Italian culture (especially the culture of the Veneto) – visual arts, history, literature, music, drama – from an interdisciplinary point of view.
The period of stay is flexible, according to each scholar’s specific research needs.
Besides offering co-financing to independent researchers, the Giorgio Cini Foundation offers scholarships for PhD students and postdocs.
How can I apply?
Simply by filling out a form: click here to download the application form
What services are offered?
Being a member of the Vittore Branca Center entitles you to:
- accommodation in a single or double room in the Vittore Branca Center Residence on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice with free access to all common spaces such as fitness room, music room, terrace, and areas in the monumental complex;
- privileged access to the Giorgio Cini Foundation libraries and archives housed in the Foundation. The ideal “piazza” of the Vittore Branca Center is the Nuova Manica Lunga, the new heart of the restyled user services (including a wi-fi Internet connection) in the Giorgio Cini Foundation library complex;
- free access to all cultural initiatives organized by the Giorgio Cini Foundation (workshops and seminars, conferences, exhibitions, concerts, etc.);
- in-depth information on documents and collections held in the Foundation libraries and instructions on the main Venetian libraries and archives;
- young scholars staying in the Vittore Branca Center can rely on a tutor to assist them in exploring the Venetian cultural offering and to put them in contact with the main specialists to help them make the most of their research experience.
How can I reach the Vittore Branca Center?
The Vittore Branca Center is located on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice. To reach the island, you take vaporetto #2 and get off at the “San Giorgio” stop.
Vittore Branca International Center for the Study of Italian Culture
tel. + 39 041 2710253
fb: Fondazione Giorgio Cini