Ph Noemi La Pera
AOA – ARCHiVe Online Academy
5, 6, 10, 16 November 2020 (4 sessions of around 2 hours each)
The Fondazione Giorgio Cini has announced six AOA – ARCHiVe Online Academy workshops on the preservation and conservation of cultural heritage using both analogue and digital technologies.
The first workshop is devoted to Transkribus, a software for the automatic recognition and transcription of handwritten texts, based on the use of machine learning algorithms.
Already employed by the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, Transkribus is the result of a project funded by the European Commission and hosted within the University of Innsbruck Digitisation and Digital Preservation Group (DEA).
During the workshops, the potential of the software will be explored not only from a theoretical point of view, but also by providing the opportunity for practical experience and case studies, such as the use of Transkribus in the Alain Daniélou Archive project at the Fondazione Cini.
The teachers will also guide participants step by step in the practical use of the software, from downloading the programme to the training model, the basis for the automatic recognition and transcription of texts.
Teaching will be in English. When watching the workshop on YouTube, users can turn on subtitles in English or other languages.
Please note that to take part more actively in the workshop, we recommend you register on the Transkribus site and download the free software before the first session: https://transkribus.eu/Transkribus/
Transkribus team members
Dr Eloisa Stuparich, ARCHiVe researcher for the Alain Daniélou Archive
5 November, 2 pm to 4 pm
– introduction to Transkribus
– operating systems and use of the software
– workflow example
6 November, 2 pm to 4 pm
– projects successfully implemented in international archives (National Archive Netherlands, National Archive Finland and newspaper projects): case studies
– training a model for recognition and transcription
10 November, 2 to 4 pm
– Transkribus community projects and other online projects
– the Transkribus web interface
– challenges and future projects
16 November, 2 pm to 4 pm
– Daniélou project case study: presentation of the work on the archive with Transkribus technology (methods and results)
For further information please write to email@example.com